Our claims are based on three pou:
Pou Tahi: Tongariro te Maunga
- To protect the Tongariro National Park as our sacred taonga.
- New ownership, governance and management of Tongariro National Park
Pou Rua: Te Matapuna o Nga Wai, Te Ahi Tamou
Natural resources (including rights and interests in fresh and geothermal water)
- Co-governance over the natural resources and environment of our role.
Pou Toru: Tūwharetoa te iwi, Tūwharetoa te hapū Strengthening Hapū
- Return cultural sites to nga hapū o Ngāti Tuwharetoa;
- Establish a Whare Taonga to protect taonga (including the korero o nehe associated with those taonga);
- Protect and restore mahinga kai;
- Contribute to restoring the mauri of Te Waiū o Tūwharetoa.