PROGRESS SO FAR
The voting process began on Friday 10 February 2017, and will stay open until Monday 27 March 2017 at 5pm. If you are a member of Ngāti Tūwharetoa and you haven't received your voting pack, please contact us or call the Independent Returning Officer on 0800 666 029 (if you are calling from overseas, call +64 3 377 3530)
Deed of Settlement: Ngāti Tūwharetoa and the Crown signed Deed of Settlement at Waitetoko Marae on Saturday 8 July 2017.
- Agreement in Principle: Ngāti Tūwharetoa and the Crown signed the Agreement in Principle at Waitetoko Marae in March 2015.
- High Level Agreement: THF met with every hapū to confirm their priorities and in December 2013 we signed an agreement with the Crown recording our progress.
- Terms of Negotiation: January 2013 the Crown and the THF signed Terms of Negotiation
- Reconfirming our Mandate: In 2010 and 2011 we held extensive hui with every hapū and and in the main centres across NZ to reconfirm our mandate. We received overwhelming support. The Crown recognised the Deed of mandate in November 2011.
- CNI Forests Settlement: In 2008 under the leadership of te ariki Sir Tumu te Heuheu, Ngāti Tūwharetoa (and the other CNI iwi) settled our commercial forestry claims. The Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust received Ngāti Tūwharetoa's share of CNI.
- Waitangi Tribunal inquiries: Our rohe is large, and Tūwharetoa have taken part in the Mohaka ki Ahuriri, Central North Island, Tongariro National Park, Whanganui, and Te Rohe Potae Inquiries. The Taihape and Porirua ki Manawatu inquiries are still ongoing.
- Original Mandate: In 2003, nga hapū Ngāti Tūwharetoa established the THF to negotiate our historic Treaty claims.